ABOUT BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS (BBBS)
BBBS’s no-cost mentoring programs strive to reach young people who face adversity and need an additional supportive relationship. BBBS agencies formally match young people with an adult volunteer Mentor. Mentors are professionally trained and supported to ignite the unique power and potential of each Mentee. BBBS provides every Match with access to a professional caseworker who provides support to both the Mentee, Mentor, and family. Current research suggests that young people are more likely to flourish when they are embedded in a web of relationships with supportive, caring adults. This is the essence of BBBS programs; providing the relationships that young people need to succeed. There are 102 BBBS agencies across the country serving over 1100 communities and reaching 40, 000 young people.
BBBSC’S EXISTING NATIONAL ACCREDITATION PROGRAM
For decades, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada has monitored Big Brothers Big Sisters programs across the country through the National Accreditation Program. Through this program, professionally trained reviewers assess agency practices in the areas of child safety, service delivery, and organizational excellence. Practices are required to be in alignment with BBBSC’s National Standards. The National Standards are determined and formally approved by member agencies and reflect their commitment to delivering quality professional services to children and youth in the mentoring programs they provide. This program has helped to bring consistency to the 102 BBBS agencies across the country around key procedures and processes pertaining to safety and quality.
In 2019, BBBSC introduced a new vision, mission, and Theory of Change. This introduction launched the beginning of a transformational journey to position Big Brothers Big Sisters as a need to have service in community, changing lives for young people facing adversity through high impact mentoring relationships. As our network continues to evolve, so too must our approach to Quality Assurance so that our agencies are empowered to deliver impactful programs into the future. We are seeking a skilled Director of Quality Assurance to manage the BBBS network through this exciting evolution.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Working closely with the VP of Network Development and Member Services, responsibilities of the Director of Quality Assurance fall within two areas:
- Manage the evolution of the National Quality Assurance Program
- Oversee agency implementation of existing National Standards throughout the transition
Manage the Evolution of the National Quality Assurance Program
- Work with the VP Network Development and Member Services and VP Strategy and Operations to establish a National Quality Assurance Committee, inclusive of agency leadership from across the country, national BBBSC staff members, and outside stakeholders with relevant expertise.
- To manage the National Quality Assurance Committee through the process of designing the updated National Quality Assurance Program, utilizing collected learnings from the past and ensuring effective and thoughtful input is provided by Agency Executive Directors, Agency front-line staff, Agency local Boards of Directors, and National Committees.
- To support the launch of the National Quality Assurance Program within the BBBS network and perform associated duties as required.
- To utilize BBBSC’s existing communication channels to provide timely and strategic communication updates to the BBBS network of agencies.
Oversee Agency Implementation of Existing National Standards Throughout the Transition
- To advise BBBSC staff and BBBS agencies on standards considerations for new BBBS programs, initiatives, and innovations.
- To respond to agency and national staff questions related to the interpretation of or implementation of current BBBS standards.
- To manage the current BBBS Standard Substitution and Program Endorsement processes.
- To track trends in agency questions, inquiries, and requests pertaining to National Standards to provide ongoing updates to the National Team/Quality Assurance Committee about agency implementation of National Standards.
- To utilize BBBSC’s existing communication channels to proactively address frequently asked questions about National Standards.
- To review and manage the online storage and documentation of National Standards, ensuring updated and consistent language is used across documents, and required forms can easily be accessed by National staff and the network.
- To ensure all updated documents are promptly and professionally translated so that documents can be accessed by English and French-speaking agency staff.
We are looking for an individual who thrives in fast-paced working environments. You have in-depth knowledge of setting quality assurance measures, inclusive of service delivery and managing business operations. Given BBBSC’s focus on impactful service delivery, we are seeking a candidate with a strong understanding of organizational theories of change. You would be aware of how organizational activities are theoretically aligned to program outcomes and would be comfortable communicating how the demonstration of local impact is vital to quality. You find joy in working with others and have experience working with diverse populations (remotely and in-person). You are comfortable facilitating a group through a meeting, ensuring principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion are respected. You have a collaborative mindset and love to listen, reflect and put group feedback into action. When you are faced with a challenge, you bring forth ideas for solutions. You are a clear and concise communicator, highly organized, and detail orientated person who follows through on commitments.
Experience, Qualifications and Competencies
- Minimum of 5 years experience within the field of quality assurance/accreditation/quality improvement.
- Experience communicating in one-to-one and group settings.
- Knowledge in managing projects and budgets and communicating project plans to diverse audiences.
- Assist with collaborative design and working with committees.
- Strong experience managing and overseeing quality assurance reviews/organizational certifications/improvement plans, preferably within the child and youth sector.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office specially with Excel, PowerPoint CRM software along with creating forms using pdf fillable formats and Microsoft forms.
- Experience managing long-term projects and meeting ongoing deadlines under pressure.
- Robust writing skills with experience writing progress reports.
- Provide QA support to update resources and managing the organization of a large amount of data/files.
- Experience working within the BBBS network is a strong asset.
Staff working for BBBSC provide support and service to all member agencies across Canada; this covers six time zones. As a result, occasional weekend or evening work may be required. Candidates will work virtually from home and be required to utilize Microsoft Teams to facilitate team meetings. Once travel is permitted, occasional travel will be required (to in-person team and agency meetings). Costs will be reimbursed by BBBSC, where applicable.
BBBSC is a human-centered brand and values its employees. We offer a competitive salary, benefits, and vacation package. BBBSC is committed to principles of anti-oppression and employment equity. We strongly encourage members of Indigenous, ethno-racial, LGBTQ+, Francophone, immigrant, refugee, differently-abled, and other equity-seeking groups to apply and self-identify. If accommodation is required during the hiring process, please inform the hiring committee once selected for an interview. Proficiency in French and English is preferred. Please state your language competencies in your application. We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to Lovejeet Chohan, National Manager, Talent & Culture. The posting will be live until the position is filled or a candidate has been identified.