For over 100 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters has been giving young Canadians the confidence to achieve more by developing and implementing a wide range of mentoring services.
Many young people find themselves in vulnerable situations and facing adversities such as mental health struggles, family violence, identity issues or challenging living conditions, which put these youth at risk of not reaching their full potential. With the guidance and support of professionally trained volunteer mentors, these risks can be minimized or avoided all together.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada (BBBSC) is the National Office for 108 member agencies serving over 1,300 communities across Canada. Our role is that of catalyst, facilitator, and guardian of the brand. We provide support, services, training, and leadership to our member agencies, which deliver quality mentoring programs to over 40,000 children annually by mobilizing 21,300 volunteers.
We are looking to fill the entry-level, temporary position of Marketing and Communications Assistant. This individual will work out of our downtown Toronto office, will report directly to the National Director of Communications and Marketing, and will work under the general supervision of the National Manager, Marketing, Communications and Projects.
The Marketing and Communications Assistant will work with the National Marketing and Communications Team to help coordinate external communication projects, including assisting in all areas of marketing strategy.
Big Brothers Big Sisters Month campaign:
- Media list development and correspondence;
- Communications with stakeholders such corporate and individual donors, agencies, community partners, government, etc.;
- Identify and engage influencers and digital media ambassadors;
- Assist in developing messaging and scheduling of social media, as well as assist in enhancing social media presence;
- Collaborate with the National MarComm Working Group.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Developing content for social media as well as assist in enhancing social media presence through various platforms including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Developing concepts and content, as well as promoting internal or external events.
- Assist advisors with day-to-day activities when requested.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Based on the funding received for this temporary position through the Canada Summer Jobs Program, applicants must meet the following stipulated eligibility requirements:
- is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
- intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- is a student in a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP (Quebec only), vocational or technical program;
- is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and;
- is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
- Current studies in Marketing, Advertising, Communications, Public Relations, or related field;
- Excellent relationship building with staff, partners, and other key stakeholders;
- Above average verbal and written communication skills;
- Keen attention to detail while remaining mission-focused;
- Creative and innovative thinker;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) is an asset;
- Willingness to help out wherever needed, based on overall company priorities and initiatives.
Status: Co-op student
Hours: 30 hours a week
Salary: $14 an hour
Duration: temporary position (14 weeks)
Start date: May 28th, 2018
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada is committed to principles of anti-oppression and employment equity. We encourage members of indigenous, ethno-racial, LGBTQ+, Francophone, immigrant, refugee, differently abled and other equity seeking groups to apply and self-identify.
If accommodation is required during the hiring process, please inform the hiring committee once selected for an interview.
Interested and qualified applicants may apply by submitting a resume and an accompanying cover letter by no later than May 14, 2018, to Rosemary Velcich, National Manager, Marketing, Communications and Projects.
Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of ‘[insert your name] – Marketing and Communications Assistant’.
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.