NATIONAL DIRECTOR, COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING
The National Director, Communications and Marketing is a pivotal member of the Big Brothers Big Sisters National Office Team, and the nationwide network. Primarily responsible for all communication functions, this person will set the tone for inspirational messaging behind all Big Brothers Big Sisters marketing and communications, including traditional and social media content.
This position is responsible for planning, developing, implementing and measuring a comprehensive marketing and communications program including stakeholder communications, media relations, government relations, digital marketing, social media strategy, and thought leadership all in support of enhancing organizational awareness, acquiring new donors, and building a positive brand image.
Reporting to the Vice President, Communications and Partnership Development, this is a full time position and is available immediately. The Director oversees two direct reports, three consulting firms (government relations, marketing, events) and manages relationships with vendors or freelancers as required.
About Big brothers big sisters
Many children and youth in Canada struggle with societal barriers and face adversities in their lives like detrimental living conditions, family violence, risk factors for mental health, school issues and identity challenges. These circumstances have nothing to do with the value of who they are or who they can become, but because of these situations, children and youth risk not having the opportunity to live up to their full potential. Even worse is the possibility of continuing cycles of poverty and crime or developing mental health issues. This comes at a cost to the young person, and to society.
With the guidance and support of a mentor, these risks can be reduced or even avoided, and youth are reminded they can be anything they dream of being. This is the work of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada: igniting the power and potential of young people.
For over 100 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters have been matching mentors and mentees in 1-to-1 and group mentoring programs through a network of 102 member agencies in 1,100 communities across Canada. Every year, together with more than 21,000 volunteer mentors who log almost 2 million volunteer hours, we support 42,000 youth to realize their full potential.
About the role
Strategy and Planning
- Develop, manage and execute a multi-platform, strategic marketing and communications plan that advances Big Brothers Big Sisters strategic directives and includes an annual Big Brothers Big Sister Month National Marketing Campaign, a comprehensive digital strategy, online fundraising strategy and analysis, and supporting national donor communications and marketing activities.
- Develop benchmarks, metrics, and tracking mechanisms for evaluation and reporting on all strategies; analyze, review and report on effectiveness of campaigns to maximize results and make recommendations for future campaigns.
- Monitor emerging issues that may have significant implications for risk or negative publicity for Big Brothers Big Sisters and proactively advise senior leadership and other key stakeholders, as appropriate.
- Direct the management of communications with the media and develop key messages for use by the Board of Directors and Leadership Teams; maintain effective proactive and reactive media relations to raise the positive profile of the organization.
- Cultivate and steward relationships with bloggers, influencers, partners and ambassadors as appropriate to increase digital reach and influence.
- Work cross-functionally to create content for a diverse set of audiences: local Big Brothers Big Sisters agencies, all categories of donors, the Government of Canada and its various departments, media, youth, mentors, community partners, and event participants.
Digital Marketing and Communications
- Stay on top of best practices and emerging trends to provide strategic advice and counsel related to the organization’s digital platforms.
- Use in-depth knowledge and understanding of Social Media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.) to increase reach and engagement for the purposes of building awareness and fundraising.
- As part of an overall digital strategy, oversee the maintenance of the organization’s English/French website and make recommendations for improvement/development, and effectively coordinate an email marketing strategy for a variety of audiences (internal and external).
- Work with relevant cross-functional team members to capitalize on campaign automation, predictive modelling, and targeting opportunities as internal CRM tools and capabilities evolve.
Analytics and Knowledge Mobilization
- Ensure rigorous campaign post mortems are conducted and that key learnings and actionable insights are shared.
- Generate data-based insights to strengthen the integrated marketing and communications strategy and inform future initiatives.
- Transform actionable donor and market insights into lifecycle marketing campaigns designed to acquire, retain, and develop supporters.
- Develop targets to track and analyze the effectiveness of digital marketing and public relations campaigns, as well as a variety of communications tools.
- Report on key performance indicators (KPIs) related to marketing and communications plans to senior management and internal stakeholders.
Team and Project Management
- Responsible for fostering an ethical, positive, results-oriented culture founded on open communication and collaboration.
- Provide expertise and leadership in the area of Communications and Marketing, and lead interactions with the Big Brothers Big Sisters network.
- Develop strong working relationships with BBBS team members, and coach and develop their communications and marketing skills, and an audience-focused mentality.
- Work with the National Communications and Marketing Committee to support all national communication and marketing activities.
- Work closely with National Director, Philanthropy to plan and executive donor-focused initiatives.
- Official staff liaison with any communications-related external suppliers and consultants and main staff lead for all communications content.
You are someone who takes initiative while demonstrating excellent judgment and a keen awareness of how your work connects with other areas of the organization and the community. You are flexible, adept in navigating a complex, multi-stakeholder environment, and can admirably balance a high volume of work with high-quality output. Bilingualism (English and French) is a definite asset.
Experience and Qualifications
- University degree and/or other relevant credentials related to marketing and communications or a related subject area.
- Proven background in developing and executing integrated, strategic communications and marketing plans that build positive brand awareness, raise funds, and achieve organization goals.
- Experience working in a fundraising or charitable environment, and overseeing staff and external designers/supports.
- Experience with content management systems, social platforms, Google Analytics and other analytics tools, SEO, A/B testing, and other content optimization techniques.
- Experience developing and maintaining a Brand voice that resonates with target demographics and remains consistent across platforms.
- A record of success building and executing marketing strategies focused on donor acquisition (segmentation, targeting, and positioning).
- Strong analytical skills, understanding of data analytics and CRM systems.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
Competencies and Skills
- Strong understanding of the connection between marketing, communications, and fundraising.
- Editorial mind that can understand what audiences need and enjoy.
- Genuine passion for the cause, marketing, and digital media.
- Collaborator who identifies opportunities for the organization and brings new ideas and concepts forward for discussion.
- Proactive, solution‐ and service-oriented approach.
- Positive and results-oriented, with the interpersonal skills and integrity that inspire trust.
- Organized, systematic; has the ability to manage multiple projects, deadlines and shifting priorities with minimal supervision.
- Strategic thinker with an eye for detail; ability to evaluate and synthesize disparate pieces of information into a clear strategy, and take a project from ideation to completion.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Team player with a positive “can do” attitude.
Some travel may be required.
how to apply
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada is committed to principles of anti-oppression and employment equity. We strongly encourage members of Indigenous, ethno-racial, LGBTQ+, Francophone, immigrant, refugee, differently-abled and other equity seeking groups to apply and self-identify. Language abilities, especially bilingualism (English and French) are considered a definite asset.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to Jody Lundrigan at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 22, 2019 with the subject: National Director, Communications and Marketing.
Start date: January 2020