For over 100 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters has been giving young Canadians the confidence to achieve more by developing and implementing a wide range of mentoring services.
Many young people find themselves in vulnerable situations and facing adversities such as mental health struggles, family violence, identity issues or challenging living conditions, which put these youth at risk of not reaching their full potential. With the guidance and support of professionally trained volunteer mentors, these risks can be minimized or avoided all together.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada (BBBSC) is the National Office for 102 member agencies serving over 1,100 communities across Canada. Our role is that of catalyst, facilitator, and guardian of the brand. We provide support, services, training, and leadership to our member agencies, which deliver quality mentoring programs to over 41,000 children annually by mobilizing 20,000+ volunteers.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada seeks a results-oriented philanthropy professional with a passion for nonprofit excellence to join a high-performing team. As a member of the communications, marketing, and fundraising team, the Manager of Philanthropy will be responsible for major gifts – corporate, foundation, and individual, embodying a donor-centered philosophy to ensure a diverse and sustainable revenue portfolio to support Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada’s vision.
The position is a great fit for you if you are:
- a fundraiser with front-line fundraising experience
- an effective writer, strong presenter and relationship builder
- a driven, passionate individual who can help build a diversified fundraising program for this high-need non-profit
The Manager of Philanthropy:
- Conducts prospect research to support the identification of potential major gift donors using in-house software, files, and CRM system as well as other sources to match prospects with organizational priorities.
- Maintains a portfolio of corporate, foundation, and individual donors, and personally conduct cultivation visits, solicitation calls and stewardship activities, and/or prepare senior leadership for these activities.
- Assesses, evaluates, and implements changes, as needed, to fundraising activities and practices; develops strategies for solicitation of major gifts.
- Prepares proposals and delivers highly impactful presentations to diverse prospects, donors and other stakeholders, follows up on funding proposals, and reports achievements.
- Proactively prepares fundraising materials such as briefing notes, cultivation/solicitation packages, proposals, strategy documents and other major gift collateral materials.
- Maintains accurate constituent moves management records in the donor database, ensuring accurate records on donors and projects are kept, and producing fundraising reports to maintain accountability to stakeholders.
- Works with communications team members to plan potential donor communications, including but not limited to e-newsletters, updating of website content, marketing special events, managing production of all print/electronic collateral and ads, social media and other collateral as deemed appropriate.
- Engenders a philanthropic culture amongst Board, staff, and volunteers through awareness and engagement.
- Maintains a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in non-profit management, programming and philanthropy.
- Other duties as required.
- With an “out the door” approach and an active presence in the community, you are motivated to secure new donors and help youth reach their full potnetial.
- You are an energetic, high-achiever who takes the initiative and goes the extra mile, and you know how to prioritize.
- An authentic and compelling storyteller, you have strong writing, editing, proofreading and presentation skills, and the ability to effectively communicate to a diverse constituency.
- Performance-driven and results-oriented with a strong focus on accountabilities, you are genuinely donor-centric, with a strong commitment to sharing our impact.
- You have solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and database computer applications including CRM systems.
- Armed with demonstrated customer and donor-relations skills and excellent project management skills, you have the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- You have a willingness to work flexible hours and to travel.
- A consummate team player with a flexible, collaborative, and creative approach, you can lead from behind and empower teammates to contribute their best.
- You have a minimum of three to five years experience with a demonstrated track record of successfully reaching and/or exceeding fundraising targets.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada is committed to principles of anti-oppression and employment equity. We strongly encourage members of Indigenous, ethno-racial, LGBTQ+, Francophone, immigrant, refugee, differently abled and other equity seeking groups to apply and self-identify. Language abilities, especially bilingualism (English and French) are considered an asset If accommodation if required during the hiring process, please inform the hiring committee once selected for an interview.
Please use the Apply Now button on our Charity Village listing and include a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations.
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.