For over 100 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters has been giving young Canadians the confidence to achieve more by developing and implementing a wide range of mentoring services. Many young people find themselves in vulnerable situations and facing adversities such as mental health struggles, family violence, identity issues or challenging living conditions, which put these youth at risk of not reaching their full potential. With the guidance and support of professionally trained volunteer mentors, these risks can be minimized or avoided all together. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada (BBBSC) is the National Office for 108 member agencies serving over 1,300 communities across Canada. Our role is that of catalyst, facilitator, and guardian of the brand. We provide support, services, training, and leadership to our member agencies, which deliver quality mentoring programs to over 40,000 children annually by mobilizing 21,300 volunteers.
The National Manager, Database and Donor Relations reports to the National Director, Philanthropy and Strategic Partnerships and is a key member of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada’s national team. This position plays an essential role by managing funding relationships and providing support to fund development campaigns. In addition the position will involve special project support, member agency coordination, and donor database management.
The National Manager, Database and Donor Relations will be responsible for participating in and executing an integrated fundraising strategy that meets annual revenue requirements, maintaining engagement and growing our donor base. The position will manage existing funding relationships and actively identify and cultivate new major gift opportunities. The position will support the team by utilizing prospect research, by writing and submitting proposals, and by managing donor ‘moves’ and stewardship in the database system.
Partner Fulfilment/Account Management
- Management and fulfillment of a number of existing funding/in-kind national partnerships
- Working with local agencies and funders to track, distribute, report upon flow through funding and support
- Manage and support donor recognition program, including mailings and communications, lists management for events, print, and online recognition
- Assist with corporate and individual recognition event logistics such as catering, location and invitations
- Provide leadership to the implementation and usage of the relationship database
- Refine database process and identify new efficiencies
- Process tax receipts
- Maintain constituent data for accurate donor stewardship, recognition, and moves management
- Utilize prospect research tools to actively identify and cultivate new major gift opportunities
- Advance prospects and donors through the donor cycle by developing new and fostering ongoing relationships
- Support and facilitate discovery meetings
- Tracking of prospect management
Direct Mailing and Corporate Mailing
- Execute direct and corporate mailings
- Manage donor lists and annual campaign reporting
Business Support and Special Projects
Assist with various youth events and national office events as requested
- Provide support to various national fundraising committees
- Other duties as assigned by the National Director, Philanthropy and Strategic Partnerships
- Formal education (degree or diploma) that includes significant training in one or more of the following: Donor Database/systems, project/events management, business management, donor relations/communications, or similar education/experience relevant to the position
- A minimum of 5 years experience in fundraising for a not-for-profit/charity
- Solid proficiency in donor database systems and Microsoft Office applications
- Experience with annual giving campaigns
- Donor stewardship and account management for mid-level and major gifts an asset
- Prospect identification and grant/proposal writing an asset
- Excellent relationship building with donors, volunteers, staff, and other key stakeholders.
- Strong sense of customer service / client relations
- Above average verbal and written communication skills – ability to inspire, motivate, and communicate the story
- Keen attention to detail while remaining mission-focused
- Creative and innovative thinker
- French-English bilingualism is an asset
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada is committed to principles of anti-oppression and employment equity. We encourage members of indigenous, ethno-racial, LGBTQ+, Francophone, immigrant, refugee, differently abled and other equity seeking groups to apply and self-identify.
If accommodation if required during the hiring process, please inform the hiring committee once selected for an interview.
Interested and qualified applicants may apply by submitting your resume and an accompanying cover letter, including salary expectations, by no later than April 27, 2018, to Linda Bott, National Director, Finance and Administrative Services.
Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of ‘[insert your name] – National Manager, Database and Donor Relations’.
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.